The proposal as stands is for a single active development branch called master with maintenance branches as needed for important fixes.
svn to git branch mapping
- cas-3_4_x_maintenance -> master (tip of active development/integration/release branch)
- cas-3_4_x_maintenance -> 3.4.x (maintenance branch if need for a point or security release)
- cas-3_3_x_maintenance -> 3.3.x (maintenance branch if need for a point or security release)
Branching in git is cheap and routine. Substantial or experimental enhancements should be carried out on a feature branch and then possibly merged into master for release.
The following feature branches will come over from svn:
- cas3/trunk -> feature-cas4api
- cas-server-3.4.10-lppe -> feature-lppe
Since this proposal is essentially procedural, following apache style consensus, majority wins seems to be in order.