JA-SIG, the non-profit (501(c)3), global consortium of educational institutions and commercial affiliates supporting open source software development and promoting open computing architectures for higher education, is asking you to support our efforts by committing your organization to becoming a JA-SIG Member. View a list of Jasig Members.
JA-SIG has been in operation for seven years, holding semi-annual conferences and sponsoring open source software applications like uPortal, CAS, and HyperContent, without any membership guidelines. We are adopting formal membership at this stage to help achieve the following objectives:
- Provide an avenue for the hundreds of institutions and organizations that have implemented JA-SIG software to have a say in the strategic direction and activities of the organization
- Insure sustainability of the organization through modest membership fees that will fund on-going work, planning, and coordination with other higher education initiatives
- Hire a director who will work full-time to help us achieve JA-SIG goals and objectives
- Provide support to promising new projects that qualify for "incubator" status
- Promote broader international participation
Organizations will benefit from JA-SIG membership in the following ways:
- Your membership will help to insure that any JA-SIG software you implement is sponsored by a self-sustaining, growing organization of peers.
- JA-SIG is revising organizational governance policies to be more inclusive of our community. When revised policies and bylaws are completed, Members will be eligible to vote for representatives of the JA-SIG board of directors.
- JA-SIG conference participants from Member organizations will be eligible to register at reduced, member-only fee levels.
- Member organizations will receive advanced news of JA-SIG announcements and activities.
- Members will have an opportunity to participate as "strategic stakeholders" on steering committees of individual projects, such as uPortal, when the new JA-SIG project model and associated roles/responsibilities are established.
JA-SIG asks that your organization intend to make a three-year membership commitment. For more information on the different types of membership, please see http://www.jasig.org/jasig-membership.
We are pleased by the opportunity to include JA-SIG Members in the decision-making that will help forge the future of shared technology for higher education. We hope you will join us in this exciting new venture.
For questions, please send mail to email@example.com