Current Text Under Review
Original text dated 2013. This page is under editing as of Dec 2017
Traditionally, faculty's primary involvement in using SSP will be to initiate an Early Alert and identify students who are believed to be at risk. As a result, the faculty member will typically only have access to the Early Alert portlet within SSP. Most institutions will have some level of integration between SSP and their Learning Management System; however, this is not necessary. Two sets of testing documentation have been developed: one for schools that will be linking to SSP from their Learning Management System and another for schools only using SSP's early alerting features.
SSP with LMS Integration
Typically LMS integration with SSP means that faculty members will be able to single sign-on from within the institutional LMS into SSP. With this level of integration, course, term, and student information is passed from the LMS to SSP.
- Log into the institutional LMS and navigate to the Early Alert integration. You will need to check with your SSP manager to see how this is set-up at your institution.
- Select a student to early alert
- Confirm the single sign-on process automatically logs you into SSP and that the necessary data is auto-populated in the Early Alert form
- Complete the Early Alert form and select submit
- If the faculty member is also a Coach, the faculty member can search for that student via the Caseload Assignment Tool and verify the Early Alert was submitted
SSP without LMS Integration
Integration with the LMS is not necessary for faculty members to initiate early alerts at your institution. SSP provides this capability from within the application.
- Log into SSP with your username and password
- Navigate to the SSP Early Alert portlet
- Review your course roster drop down list. Does this list appear accurate? Confirm with your SSP manager what data is being used for testing purposes.
- Double-click on the student you would like to submit an early alert on
- Complete the Early Alert form and submit
- If the faculty member is also a Coach, the faculty member can search for that student via the Caseload Assignment Tool and verify the early alert was submitted