uPortal 3.1.0 GA announcement (Revised JJM 3-19-2009)
Jasig is proud to announce the general audience release of uPortal 3.1.0. uPortal 3.1 is the recommended version with which to start a new uPortal deployment.
This release includes nearly 260 bug fixes, improvements and new features since uPortal 3.0. Among them are the following:
- Portal statistics are saved to a database, paving the way for future reporting efforts. Statistics now stored include logins, page render times, layout customization, portlet render times, logins by group, module usage, and others. (Thanks to University of Wisconsin - Madison for this contribution.)
- New Identity and Attribute Swapper administrative portlets are provided (also thanks to University of Wisconsin - Madison). These are particularly useful for portal administrators and developers doing trouble-shooting and testing. Credentials are not circumvented.
- A new DLM Fragment Admin Portlet allows for easy switching to fragments. A drop-down list of fragment owners is presented, permitting authorized users to switch to another owner. Delegation of layout administration is made available to portal administrators through this feature (Thanks to Drew Wills and Unicon).
- Finer-grained permissions have been added to allow delegation of channel management. Portal administrators may now create categories of channels and delegate permission to others to manage them. (Thanks to Chris Doyle and The Johns Hopkins University).
- Portal pages load faster through implementation of long term cache headers and GZIP filtering for static portal content (Thanks to Jen Bourey and Unicon).
- The Fluid Reorderer has been implemented as the engine for drag-and-drop layout customization. Thanks are due to numerous Jasig and Fluid developers who have made this happen, bringing UI accessibility to uPortal's drag and drop capabilities.
- uPortal 3.1 now features the Fluid Skinning System, a completely modular, open source CSS framework, for the default uPortal skin (Thanks to Gary Thompson and Unicon).
- The portal has switched to a completely div-based XHTML theme from a mix of tables and divs (Thanks again to Gary Thompson and Unicon).
Special thanks to the Fluid Project (www.fluidproject.org), Unicon (www.unicon.net), and the many developers who contributed features, patches, bug reports, and testing for this release.
Important Upgrading Note
uPortal 3.1.0 has had database changes that are incompatible with the 3.0 and 2.x releases. Upgrading to uPortal 3.1.0 will require using the crn-export scripts in your current install and then the crn-import scripts in your new uPortal 3.1.0 install. Pointing a uPortal 3.1.0 release at an older database will very likely not work and could cause database corruption.
Downloads are available from: http://www.ja-sig.org/downloads/uportal/uPortal-3.1.0/
Release notes are available at: http://www.ja-sig.org/wiki/display/UPC/3.1.0
uPortal 3.1 Manual: http://www.ja-sig.org/wiki/display/UPM31
uPortal 3 Release Engineer,
Eric Dalquist, University of Wisconsin--Madison
Enhancements in 3.1.0
- Database backed portal events (statistics) storage
- Identity and Attribute swapper administrative tools implemented using Spring Web-Flow 2 Portlets
- DLM Fragment Administration portlet, eases switching to fragment owners to manage layouts
- Fluid Reorderer backed drag & drop UI, also includes a switch to the Fluid Skinning System
- Improved browser-side caching of static resources for faster page load times