About this Manual
This document is a community authored and updated guide for Installing, Deploying, and Customizing the uPortal Portal Framework. This manual covers uPortal 4.2.x.
uPortal 4 Features List
- Based upon open-standards and Java,XML, XSLT, JSP and J2EE development
- Scalable to over a million users
- Pluggable API’s
- Sophisticated layout management
- Validate user credentials against multiple backing credentials stores, including databases and LDAP.
- Ships with libraries and sample configuration for integration with Jasig’s Central Authentication Service (CAS)
- Frequently integrated with single sign-on frameworks like PubCookie and Shibboleth
- User attribute service draws data from multiple sources
- Included LDAP and RDBMS query support.
- Components and the framework for connecting together more complex identity management system
- Powerful and flexible user group management system
- Base groups dynamically on user attributes
- Nested groups may be implemented
- Layout system permits fragments and portlets to be presented to users in combinations determined by personal user attributes, preferences, group memberships, and the application of configurable and extensible layout component audience rules.
- uPortal includes an exceptionally powerful authorization system used to define and check each user who is permitted to take what actions in what contexts.
- uPortal supports permissions for access to layout fragments, individual portlets, group administration, and channel publication.
- Images included via CSS
- Flyout navigation menus and left-hand sidebar. The new flyout navigation menus now work with Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Safari.
- Ability for most institutions to easily skin, configure, and lightly edit the default theme in order to achieve their desired results rather than having to start from scratch or maintain a large list of local changes.
- ext messages abstracted to a messages XML file
- Includes built-in support for channels presenting syndicated feeds, images, bookmarks, web proxies, inline frames, and custom standards-adherent JSR-286 and JSR-168 portlets.
- One can now easily update or import channels, users, layouts.
- The ease of migration between uPortal versions provides an easy method to clean the database and remove stranded items.
Questions or comments about uPortal or manual pages should be posted on the uportal-user email list. Commenting on manual pages is not a good way to get support for local uPortal issues.